The Larz Anderson Auto Museum in Brookline is home to America’s oldest car collection. The museum was the idea of Larz and Isabel Anderson, a wealthy Brookline couple who embarked on a life of political service and philanthropy. In the late 1890s the Andersons would open the doors to their carriage house in Brookline to share their collection of American and European vehicles with the public.
The first vehicle the Andersons purchased was an 1899 Winton 4-hp Runabout. This vehicle is still on permanent display in the Museum. The Andersons purchased an automobile almost every year, acquiring a total of 32 brand new cars during their lives. Fourteen of these vehicles and many of the Andersons original horse drawn carriages are on display as part of the permanent collection.
The carriage house where the Museum is located was constructed in 1888. It was inspired by the Chateau de Chaumont-Sur-Loire in France and designed by Edmund M. Wheelwright, a well-known Boston Architect. Today the Carriage House is on the National Register of Historic Places. A visit to the Museum not only includes the vehicles on display but the historic Carriage House as well as the beautifully landscaped grounds.